POST-OP INSTRUCTIONS FOR ROOT CANAL TREATMENT
• Avoid chewing until the numbness wears off
• You may have had a temporary restoration placed in your tooth:
o If root canal therapy has been started, you must schedule an additional appointment(s) at Dental Care 24/7 for completion.
o If root canal therapy has been completed, you must return to have the temporary filling replaced, and a crown may be recommended.
o Please avoid pressure or chewing on the tooth (teeth) that has been treated until you have seen for the permanent restoration.
• You may experience some discomfort on the tooth that has been treated. This may last anywhere between 7-10 days. Swelling in the affected area may also occur. These are not unusual post-operative events.
• Please continue with any medications prescribed, unless instructed otherwise by the doctor. Notify Dental Care 24/7 of any problems that may arise from medications being taken.
Remember… If you have any questions or concerns regarding your treatment, please do not hesitate to contact Dental Care 24/7!!!
IF YOUR TOOTH HAS BEEN LEFT OPEN TO DRAIN
In order to alleviate your distress, your tooth has been left open for drainage. Follow these instructions until your next appointment:
• Rinse your mouth with warm salt-water for five minutes after every meal or snack (one teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water). Place the warm water in the affected area, hold it there until it cools, then rinse out. A small piece of cotton may have been placed in your tooth. If it falls out it may be replaced with a fresh piece provided for you.
• Avoid blocking the open tooth with food by eating on the opposite side of your mouth. Avoid eating foods that may contain small seeds in it that may get caught in the tooth. To prevent any accidental food blockage, continuously and gently rinse after meals or snacks with warm salt-water.
• Avoid using objects (such as toothpicks) to remove debris within the tooth. Gentle and continuous warm salt-water rinses are often all that are needed for removal of debris.
• If medicine(s) have been prescribed, use according to directions.
• Notify Dental Care 24/7 in the event of any significant swelling, pain, or problems from the prescribed medicine(s).
Remember that even though your tooth may be comfortable, follow-up treatment is necessary!
We expect your recovery to be as uneventful as possible. However, if a question or concern should arise regarding your treatment or medication being taken, feel free to contact Dental Care 24/7.